Subscribe

Greater London House

Commercial Decoration

Project Example

(Photos of Greater London House above…)

Client:
Land Securities

Project:
Greater London House, Camden – External redecoration

Project Procurement:
HBS were successful in tendering for the project as main contractor. Workman LLP Chartered Surveyors administrated the works for the client.

Scope of works:
Works included the full external redecoration of the rear elevation of the property. The works were programmed to be undertaken within a 10 week programme from power cradles. A team of 14 HBS decorators undertook the works on programme and on budget.

Project Value:
£200K

Project Details:
HBS were very pleased to add this project to their refurbishment portfolio as it is another iconic London landmark and is one of the best examples of Art Deco still remaining in the capital.

The refurbishment, including the rear elevation, was administered on behalf of the client (Land Securities) by Workman LLP, chartered surveyors with BS as main contractors.

The building was constructed in 1928 for the Carreras Tobacco Company who were manufacturers of the famous ‘Black Cat’ range of cigarettes. At the time of the design and construction there was still a deep fascination with Egyptology following the discovery of Tutankhamun’s tomb in 1922 and Egyptian features and black cats feature prominently in the exterior statues and ironwork.

With a 10 week programme HBS needed to assemble an efficient team and 14 of their experienced operatives worked throughout the period to complete the project within the challenging timeframe and within budget. The work included restoration painting and cleaning the Atlas White Cement. The work was carried out using powered cradle access to minimise disruption.

In 1959 Carreras merged with Rothmans and the building, which originally housed the ‘new’ cigarette manufacturing plant, was closed. It was then stripped of much of it’s Art Deco features to make it more ‘modern’ and became Greater London House. In the 1990’s it was acquired by new owners who engaged Finch Foremen architects to restore its art deco splendour. The building is now one of the very few remnants from the golden period of architecture in the UK.


More Decoration Projects

Registered & Head Office

Havering Building Specialists Ltd.
46-48 Brentwood Road,
Romford, Essex RM1 2EX
Phone: 01708 744 574
Website: http://hbs-construct.com
Email: web@hbs-construct.com

Contact us

Newsletter Signup

If you would like to be kept informed about our latest services and news, enter you details below.